Under Occupation (Bedroom Tax)

Since April 2013 If you have a spare room and are of working age, your housing benefit will be cut by 14% for one spare room and 25% if you have a second spare room.

The new rules mean you will be allowed one bedroom for:

    • an adult couple
    • a person aged 16 or over
    • two children of the same sex aged under 16
    • two children of any sex under the age of 10
    • a single child under 16
    • a carer (who does not normally live with you) if you or your partner need overnight care.

It doesn’t matter how the ‘spare’ bedroom is used, the rules will apply even if:

  • the main residence of your children is another address but you have a spare room for when they stay with you
  • you and your partner need to sleep apart because of a medical condition.

However, you will be exempt if:

  • you are a registered foster carer.
  • your teenage children are in the armed forces.

If your circumstances change, ie. a member of your household moves out, the ‘Bedroom Tax’ may then apply and your housing benefit will be reduced. Please speak to your Housing Officer.