Benefit Cap

The ‘benefit cap’ is a limit on the total amount of benefit that working age people can receive.

The maximum benefit that people in Greater London are allowed to receive each month is currently (2023-2025):
  • Single people without children: £1,413.92
  • Couples (with or without children) or single claimants with a child of qualifying age: £2,110.25

The Government adds up how much money you get from a range of benefits and if the total comes to more than the maximum amount allowed, your housing benefit payments will be reduced.

The benefits affected are:

  • Universal Credit
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widow’s Pension if you started getting it before 9 April 2001

You are not affected by the cap if you or your partner:

  • get Working Tax Credit (even if the amount you get is £0)
  • get Universal Credit because of a disability or health condition that stops you from working (this is called ‘limited capability for work and work-related activity’)
  • get Universal Credit because you care for someone with a disability, or
  • get Universal Credit and you and your partner earn £722 or more a month combined, after tax and National Insurance contributions.

You’re also not affected by the cap if you, your partner or any children under 18 living with you gets:

  • Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Carer Support Payment
  • Child Disability Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (if you get the support component)
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a War Disablement Pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War pensions
  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

Find out about maximising your income and how to make your money go further with Step Change. Visit