Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support schemes provide help, for people on low incomes, with their Council Tax bill. The schemes apply differently in different parts of Great Britain, and in England they apply differently in different councils.

You might be able to get a Council Tax Discount as well as Council Tax Support. Council Tax discounts don’t depend on your income or savings. Council Tax discounts depend on who lives in your home.

You will get a Discount of 25% if you are the sole occupant, or the sole qualifying adult, in your home.

Some adults do not have to pay Council Tax (do not qualify). They include:

  • Full-time students (and part-time nursing students in some areas)
  • Adults who are severely mentally impaired
  • Live-in carers – terms apply
  • Ukrainian refugees